Saturday, April 05, 2008

From Eddy Gragus...

Just got the following comment regarding a post from last year. Actually, it's a response to Nick Nitro's comment from that post and is in reference to deals riders make about not sprinting. Since the post and the comment are buried in the archives, I'm bringing it to the front here. Besides, it's from Eddy Gragus who was a very accomplished rider in the US back in the day. Usually the pros and ex-pros just lurk on this blog ...I just know it... but maybe they're all too intimidated to comment...

Anyway, here's the comment:
"Regarding the comments on May 22, 2007 I would like to defend myself a bit. It appears as though not everyone knows the complete story of myself, Gaggiolli and Huber that day in Santa Rosa. The real story was that Gaggiolli and myself jumped away on the first lap of the race and I had told him that I would not sprint, because I knew this guy could beat me anyway. So he and I stayed clear on the wet and technical course for half of the race and I put in my share of work. Half way into tht race Huber brdged up to us and I told him that I would not sprint for the win. He scolded me and said that, "you won't sprint for second either." I called BS on this and as we approached the finish line I stayed true to my word. I didn't sprint for the win. As they let Huber or Gag, I don't remember which, go ahead by about one meter I threw my bike to get second, which I felt I deserved because I did my fare share of work the first half of the race. They freaked out! How could anyone disrespect the Coors Light Team. I was a slolo rider in those days and was just trying to get from one race to the next, and I would do what it took to do that, but I kept my word when I gave it, and this was no exception. That day pretty much made me a mortal enemy of their team for the season and they did not give me an inch. Still, I managed to beat them, without a team, in Casper Classic and several other races before turning professional. That is my two sense and if I have anything to recomend to younger riders reading this it would be: Don't give people sh** but don't take it either, never.

Eddy"

Thanks for commenting and setting the record straight!

BTW, this is a cool pic I lifted from his blog...
Beating Lance Armstrong at the night-time crit in Austin of all places!

3 comments:

Burt Friggin' Hoovis said...

Eddy G was a total stud.

I love reading old school shit like that. Great post.

Anonymous said...

check out horse teef in the background.

Marco Fanelli said...

bfh- Lot's of old-school stuff rattling around here. BTW, your tourney seeding sucks... Liz Hatch and Dotsie in the same bracket was not a good choice. In my opinion of course.

Anony- Is that really him? He looks so young. About the right height though...