Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Long Beach Marathon


OK, after Saturday's epic and world-famous cross-country race at Lake Los Carneros, Gina and I (and Steve M.) headed south for a little run called the Long Beach Marathon. Since those two slackers didn't race on Saturday--and I did--it made sense that they should run Sunday while I would take the job of cheerleader, chief photog, and extra-clothing carrier.

The expo was typical--lots of booths with every gadget and clothing item that you cannot live without. One booth was seriously trying to sell little cardboard fold-up bike kick-stands. Yeah, I gotta have one of those! We had a wild Saturday night on the dynamic and bustling Long Beach waterfront ...dinner at P.F. Changs (gluten-free menu) and to bed by 9:00 pm. In truth, Long Beach was much nicer than I was expecting.

An early rise and trot to the marathon start area was all the warm-up we needed. Well, that and the mandatory porta-pottie trips. Kudos to the promoter for having enough of those. The gun went off at 7:30 and Gina and Steve spent the next 3 hours and 20'ish minutes cruising with 2,000 other crazy fools. Seriously, they both had awesome races, finishing strong and still able to walk and talk afterward ...although I suppose talking is never a problem for either of those two. We joined some of the other SB-area racers--all of whom did very well--for lunch and then headed home. Thanks to my Mom for watching the little dudes until we got back!

I snapped a bazillion pictures and video clips, most of which were terrible, and assembled a 7-minute video/slide-show. It is currently uploading to Google Video and I'll post a link to it if it ever finishes uploading.

No comments: