Wednesday, October 11, 2006

My Massive Manly Mango!

There had been much snickering about our Mango tree. Three years in the ground already, and no fruit production at all... not a single offspring. Was it firing blanks, so to speak? I was getting concerned.

This spring looked like all those previous--hundreds of little fruits set ...budding with the promise of tasty goodness. Then as soon as I started to hope, they began to drop off, falling onto the dirt like little green BB's, pissing me off more and more each day. I decided to rip the sucka out of the ground after the last one dropped.

A few weeks went by, and soon there was only one little Mango left, hanging on by a flimsy stem. It wasn't much bigger than an almond. And it didn't drop. As it bulked up through the summer, I was sure that wussy little tree couldn't hold on to it. By September it probably outweighed all the leaves and branches combined. We're now well into October, and I think it's going to make it.



I'm proud to present to you: my first Mango! And size does matter!

No comments: