Thursday, February 01, 2007

What the **** am I Thinking?!?

Nathan O'Neil, Chris Wherry, Henk Vogels, Aaron Olson, Karl Menzies, Pat McCarty, Ivan Dominguez, ...

What do all these people have in common? Well, for one they are all serious, bad-ass pro bike racers, as in, they race internationally and they make a living at it. Any one of them could ride my weak self right off his wheel, probably while talking on his cell phone and eating a hamburger at the same time.

I have no business being in a race with guys like this.

Which brings me to the next thing they all have in common... they're all signed up for the p/1/2 Boulevard Road Race on Saturday! Along with another 50 or so domestic pros.

Huh!!?!

That's not what I bargained for when forsaking masters racing for the elite categories this year. I was thinking I'd just be getting throttled by regional uber studs, like Karl Bordine, Thurlow Rogers, and Rigo Meza (along with 30 or 40 other SoCal brutes), but Saturday's race will be a new level of abuse.

And to top it off, I haven't trained for a week and am fighting a cold. As if it would make any difference!

But at least I'll be wearing new clothes. Look at the cool design by Chris Choo-Choo Brown...

Unfortunately, the early delivery didn't have any small jerseys so mine will be flapping in the wind as I struggle to hold on to the back of the pro-infested Boulevard field...

++++++++++++++++++++

In case you haven't heard, Cody won the CBR Dominguez Hills crit last Sunday. That's a nice way to start off his first year as a pro. You can read about the race on Aram Dellalian's blog. He got 2nd in that race, which is also a great result considering how many fast guys were there. Here's a picture taken by Dave Haag (lifted from Aram's blog)...

2 comments:

norcalcyclingnews.com said...

go out there an school 'em, yo!

Marco Fanelli said...

Yeah, I'll school 'em... I'll hold forth on the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus and the Riemann Integral... That'll enrapture them for sure!

Oh wait, you meant in the bike race! Never mind then...