Friday, October 26, 2007

Friday Funk

You ever just feel kind of blah? That's been me all day today. Maybe this big glass of Syrah and some bloggin' will pull me out of it. Or maybe put me to sleep. Or put you to sleep!

Speaking of sleep, haven't had much the last few days. My son is a 7th grader, and unfortunately he's going through something I was hoping he'd never experience. He's on the victim end of a bully. Some jerk'ish kid has picked him out to torment. Mostly teasing but some physical stuff too, and I know it's getting him down, even though he still keeps up his happy-go-lucky demeanor. We've talked about options. He could just try to ignore it and avoid the kid as much as possible. He could fight back, as in, if he gets pushed or hit, unload a fist with all his fury right into the kid's nose. But the best option in my opinion is to talk to a teacher or counselor about it. Or have us do it.

Well, predictably, he's totally opposed to talking to a teacher, and he doesn't want us to either. He doesn't want to be a tattle-tale and he's also worried it would just make it worse. He's also not too keen on fighting back. He's a pacifist through-and-through, besides, to hear him describe the bully, he must be like 6'9" or something. He's not sure he could reach the kid's nose! So, for now, he's just trying to ignore the jerk.

As a parent, it just breaks your heart when your sweet kid experiences meanness in the world. You know it's there, and that everyone faces it at some point in growing up, but you can never really prepare for it. Literally, it makes your heart ache.

++++++++++++++++++++

But life goes on...

One of my sisters lives in London, and she's always on some grand kick or another. A real dreamer she is. A few days ago she suggested I get involved with a guy there who's promoting an idea for urban transportation that is a cross between a taxi and a bus. He calls it the taxibus. The service would operate a fleet of big passenger vans that roam a large city. When you need to go somewhere, you text the service about your trip parameters--when, where, etc.--and some fancy software figures out which vehicle can pick you up and get you to your destination most efficiently. You say "yea" (or "nay") and one comes to pick you up (or not).

Of course they're looking for funding and supporters, and they need to do some detailed studies and simulations to show that it makes sense, which is where sis thinks I could help. Sounds cool, and nothing I like better than developing fun new simulation software, but no way can I commit to anything that substantial right now. Gotta keep balance in the universe... she's the dreamer; I'm the slacker.

++++++++++++++++++++

What else...

Gina and I are debating about signing up for Plow to Porch. It's a good concept--every week they deliver a nice assortment of locally grown, organic produce right to your doorstep. Kind of like the Farmers' Market coming to your house. I think it would be fun and a good way to try all that's in season. Gina's worried we wouldn't use it all, and still we'd have to shop for our staples (apples, berries, bananas, etc.). So what?!?

++++++++++++++++++++

Been running with the Bam-Bam Hammer lately. He pushes the pace--big surprise, I know--and my soleus muscles are killing me. It's all good though ...I can feel my bone density increasing every day!

++++++++++++++++++++

The USMF was threatening to revoke my Man License so I needed to score some points. What better way than swinging some power tools around for a few days. See my handy work...
When finished, these will be redwood planter boxes (complete with irrigation) for year-round greens like spinach, lettuce, arugula, etc.

++++++++++++++++++++

I added some new links over on the right. One of my new favorite blogs is Smithers in Minneapolis. He updates multiple times a day (not a slacker!) and he's pretty funny and pertinent. He also works with Doug Knox. PNW Buckeye is a bike racer with a football addiction. He's a friend of Jake's and has some pretty good stories. Flahute is written by Steven Sheffield who is one of the more entertaining RBR posters. Blue Squirrel is a fellow clavicle-club member and a masters racer from LA. Finally, among new bike-related blogs, I added a link to the one-and-only Chuckie V, who was one of the original pro triathletes. I dig his unconventional style and his absolute rejection of all the johnny-come-lately training techniques. Just go ride your friggin bike for 8 hours a day. (BTW, he rode with us in the SY Valley last winter when he was hanging out in Buellton.)

Also added links to Nooz Hawk, a new online local news source for SB, and also the aforementioned Plow to Porch.

++++++++++++++++++++

Finally, I've decided to start training for the 2008 bike-racing season beginning on November 1st. Not sure yet whether to work up a fancy plan or to just use the good ol' dependable ride-a-lot method...

12 comments:

Gary said...

Marco-
Awesome. I just put in my "Plow to Porch" order. So excited.

Also, keep emailing me the time and location of the Bam Bam runs. I couldn't make it on Thursday morning but have been stepping up my running for cross. If you wanna mix it up, I have a good 'n hard run working that I do on my driveway...hill repeats. You want to increase your bone density? Come on over, we can blow our knees off.

Steve, TnA, Jason and I are talking to a coach on Friday at 5pm at my office. We don't have to commit anything but are exploring options. I prescribe to the "ride a lot" theory but the guys have me convinced that some structure might make sense. And some structure will be needed to avoid getting dropped by you and the big boys next season on every little climb.

Linnea said...

Ugh, middle school and bullies... it's a rough time of life for a kid, so I hope everything works out.

My family spent a year receiving Farm Fresh to You organic boxes and we loved the experience. The best part was that each box came with a letter from the farmer and recipes to cook everything we received! (Don't know what to do with those leeks? No problem! Here's a recipe for leek soup! on so on...). Summer was hands-down the best (LOTS of amazing fruit) though winter can be a little rough -- I guarantee you'll end up with a lot of kale and squash. Still, fun!

Kimberly (aka. DrKim) said...

Plow-to-porch sounds like a great idea! It's always interesting to try new weird veggies. I used to share a fairview gardens subscription with a friend of mine, and it was fun. And good luck on the new training season. Due to a freak injury my training is inside for the next way-too-many weeks. Not nearly as interesting as the outside world.

Marco Fanelli said...

Gary- Glad you'll be supporting local ag. Not sure about the coach, old dogs and all that stuff... btw, who is it?

Linnea- Yeah, it's good to be push out of the food comfort zone sometimes. Even if it means eating Kale! Are you still in Sweden? Do they have vegetables in Sweden in the winter?

Kim- Fairview Gardens is great. I didn't even know they did deliveries. Re your crash, look at the bright side: now you'll get rested and be really motivated to ride when you're healed.

Anonymous said...

Mark,

My dad always told me to never fight, but taught me how to defend myself and justing know that I could fight and learning how to fight always made to feel like no one would be able to push me around...would your son ever be into karate classes or something like that (something that empowers him)?

Marco Fanelli said...

He might be interested in something like that. But he just really doesn't like violence, even when justified as self defense. So we'll see...

The ironic thing is, he's actually a very strong kid. Genetics from his former-bodybuilder grampa, who bench presses cars, light trucks, and naughty sons-in-law.

Kimberly (aka. DrKim) said...

marco--fairview gardens doesn't do deliveries, but they do have a similar program, so you can be a 'member' and get the veggies once a week!

Anonymous said...

Plow to Porch sounds good. But they sound like a copy of 'sprout-about.com'. I've been using sprout-about and they're good. The lady that runs it is really down to earth...you should see the truck she drives. Anyway, worth checking out.

Marco Fanelli said...

Thanks for the sprout-about tip! We will look into both. Of course, this is just temporary until I get my "farm" going good enough to produce all we need (and more hopefully!)

Linnea said...

Still in Sweden, yep! I'm lucky to be in the southernmost part of Sweden, which is the warmest, and hence the most agricultural. You can't beat the daily farmer's market in the middle of the city -- the apples are REALLY good right now. And they have lots of veggies too. :-) We'll see how things look in December, though...

Anonymous said...

Year round greens? How do you manage that?
Oh yeah what latitude are you at?
L

Marco Fanelli said...

> Year round greens? How do you
> manage that? Oh yeah what
> latitude are you at?

Don't worry Laura, Global Warming will take care of you. In a few more years you'll be growing Pineapples and Papayas up there, using water from melting Mt. Hood glaciers.